- Austria - Ja! Natürlich Green Packaging
- Carbonbeton - sparsam, schonend, schön.
- Restorative Agriculture with the Seawater Greenhouse
- Beyond Energy Neutrality – Ejby Molle Wastewater Treatment Plant
- Portable Solar Powered Cold Storage for Smallholder Farmers in Kenya for Postharvest Handling.
- Solar for Productive Use for Small and Medium Sized Enterprises (SMEs) in Africa.
- Rainwater Harvesting through Borewell Recharge
- Rain City
- Safe Water for Every Child, Philippines
- C-ION micropollutants removal from treated sewage
- Central Highland Program: Energy Saving Solutions in Rural Afghanistan
- Village Base Customer Acquisition Program
- Reducing Methane Emissions from Rice Farming
Energy Globe World Awards 2018
Finalist in the category Fire
Solar Freeze provides solar-powered mobile cold room units for rural smallholder farmers in Kenya to store perishable agricultural producefor longer. This technology increases the shelf life of perishable food from 2 to 21 days and reduces post-harvest loss by 90%. The units are installed by young women, whom Solar Freeze provides with technical skills for the job.
On the one hand, one-third of the world’s available food either spoils or gets thrown away—that’s enough to feed everyone in the world for two months. On the other hand, one out of every nine people on the planet is food insecure o11% of the world population does not have enough food and is undernourished. Post-harvest loss affects famers in rural areas a lot. They lose as much as 45% of fresh agricultural products, because they have no possibility of accessing cold storage or better treatment of their products.
Solar Freeze provides transportable cold storage units in rural areas powered by renewable energy. They enable farmers to effectively prevent post-harvest loss in Kenya and Africa at large. The storage units are offered with a pay-as-you-store model. The batteries are charged by solar power, generating about 5.7kwh of energy. Solar Freeze unites contain approximately 2 – 3 tons of perishable food arranged in units of 30 kg plastic crates stacked on the floor. The daily cooling temperature is 5° Celsius. So far 5,000 smallholder farmers use the technology. Cold storage units are installed by young women trained by Solar Freeze in the technical elements of installing, managing and maintenance of the solar powered cold storage units.
The innovation of this solution lies in the product itself – the mobile cold room powered by renewable energy. As it can be transported from the farm to the market, it provides a convenient solution that effectively reduces post-harvest loss by 90%. So far it has increased the income of its clients by 60%. Solar Freeze works with young women and trains them on technical skills in renewable energy, therefore breaking the barriers to entry for women in energy. Finally, it reduces deforestation as the farmers become more productive with their use of land.
Project: Beyond Energy Neutrality – Ejby Molle Wastewater Treatment Plant
Applicant: VCS Denmark
Project: Portable Solar Powered Cold Storage for Smallholder Farmers in Kenya for
Applicant: Solar Freeze
Project: Solar for Productive Use for Small and Medium Sized Enterprises (SMEs) in